Monday, January 16, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Bars

I have to admit that I am a bit obsessed with the idea of using beans in my baking... I am going to experiment with beans until there are no experiments left to be experimented on. Last fall I was inspired by the bounty of beautiful pumpkins and squashes to choose from. I've never been a big fan of pumpkin pie, but it IS an American tradition, so I decided to take a stab at creating my own healthy, and yes, BEANY bar version. And, as it turns out... I really love these bars (more than pumpkin pie!!!!) The beans give them a very pie like texture.:D

Sugar and spice and everything nice. Pumpkin pie in the palm of your hand!
 Pumpkin Pie Bars

1 15oz. can no salt added garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c melted butter
1/2 c soy milk
(or any other milk you like)
3 eggs
1TBL Vanilla
1/2 c agave nectar
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
(or dried ginger powder)
2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (or dried)
1 TBL ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 c raw sugar (Sucanat or Sugar in the Raw)
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)

3/4 c whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)


Preheat oven to 350*F. Prepare a 13X9" baking pan with cooking spray, butter, or oil. Set aside.

Blend eggs, beans, milk, butter, and pumpkin in a blender until smooth. Blend in agave, spices, salt, and baking powder. Pour batter into a large mixing bowl and whisk in sugar. Add flour and whisk until combined.

Pour batter into prepared 13X9" baking pan and bake at 350*F for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting. (Bars will still be mushy, they set completely when refrigerated.) 
Serve at room temperature or cold.

These will stay good for a week when kept refrigerated.... and are very delicious with whipped cream on top!


Makes 36 - 48 bars. It all depends on how you cut it!



*Feel free to adjust the spices according to your taste with this recipe. I personally like A LOT of spice in my pumpkin bars.

This recipe can easily be made gluten free by substituting brown rice, oat, or any other non wheat flour for whole wheat.

1 comment:

  1. These are AMAAAAZING! They are like pumpkin pie without the crust... delicious, moist & pumpkiny. YUM. I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete